May

Adventurs as Annie in EGYPT

This was the last Magic Tree House Adventures session until the school year picks up again in the fall. I now feel that I have a small understanding of how a teacher feels on their last day of school. Going to miss those kids. We didn’t have a crazy 50+ group like in the past few sessions. It was graduation weekend and being a university town, everything is affected by what’s going on with the school. But we did have our tried and true core of 30 kids in attendance.

Off we went to the marvelous and mysterious Ancient Egypt…

Where Are We? Who Are They

Just like in the previous Magic Tree House Adventure sessions, our first activity is “Where Are We? Who Are They?”, a slide show guessing game about the place and time period we’re visiting for the day. We discussed the pyramids, famous pharaohs, the culture, the religion, mummies, tomb raiders, King Tut’s discovery, and so much more. If you’d like the full presentation outline, please feel free to email me.

Mummy Wrap Race

I have to start by saying this did not go as expected.. but the kids still had fun nonetheless.

We divided the group into teams of 5. 1 person was the mummy, 2 were the mummifiers, and 2 were the excavators. We handed out 2 rolls of toilet paper to each mummifer. With the mummies and the mummifiers in each group standing and the excavators sitting we timed how long it took for the mummifiers to wrap their mummy. The toilet paper was thin and kept tearing, but the kids were laughing and didn’t seem to care. The first group to finishing wrapping their mummy won. Then the excavators/tomb robbers were next. Their job was to see own fast they could unwrap the mummy carefully with as few toilet paper tears as possible.

Masks, Cartouches and Gold!

There were so many inspiring crafts for Ancient Egypt, that my partner”Jack” and I decided to make three, so we set up three rotating craft stations around the room in which the kids had 10 minutes at each station.

Cartouche Creations: There was a cartouche station where the kids learned about how to write their name in hieroglyphics. A co-worker found some awesome Egyptian stamps downstairs that we used as well.

Golden Jewels: We made necklaces of “lapis” and “gold” (my favorite of the crafts) were they strung together spray-painted rigatoni noddles on elastic string. I’m pretty sure all the kids ended up wearing their necklaces around.

Mummy Masks: The third station, was King Tut mask making. We pre-made and cut out the masks by tracing an image of King Tut’s mask from a book and enlarging it onto 11×14 paper using our printer. After the copies were printed, we cut the eyes and shape out. All the kids had to do was color! The below image of King Tutankhamun’s burial mask was left up on the projector from “Where Are We? Who Are They?”, so the kids could use it as a guide. We also encouraged them to color their masks in whichever way inspired them. This idea was inspired by Imagine Explore Create.

The crafts were a big hit! They liked making them so much that they didn’t want to stop when time was up. They finally let up on their crafting when I let their parents in to pick them up. As they were leaving, they were allowed to select as many Ancient Egypt books to check out from a table display in the back.

Among them were a couple books we used for the craft ideas:

The Ancient Egyptians by Fiona McDonald

The Egyptians by Ruth Thomson

Magic Tree House Adventure Journal #4:

As always, along with whatever the kids made that day and library books based on the theme, they also took home their Magic Tree House Adventure Journal. Here’s an abbreviated peak at what’s inside. Continuing the learning and the fun.

5 minutes after the kids were supposed to be released from the session they insisted on staying! We had to invite the parents and caregivers to come in the auditorium to collect their children.

I’ll take that as as sign that they liked it.

Looking forward to continuing the adventures in the fall!

image sources: pyramids, king tut

Comments

49 Responses to “Adventurs as Annie in EGYPT”

1. Kathy Tracy says:

I am a children’s librarian embarking on a program with the Magic Tree House books as the theme. I love your ideas!! Could you tell me how you put together the journal? Did you gather the different facts, pics, etc. and format the book yourselves? I’m not sure I have that much time–so I thought I would see if you did them or if their is a resource you used.

Thanks!
    Kathy

• Rebecca says:

Hi Kathy! My co-worker and I put together the journals using facts from The Magic Tree House reading companions, images found online, and activities found on The Magic Tree House website. The books were formatted using publisher. If you are going to do similar themes with your program, I would be more than happy to email you the journals we assembled for the kids. I encourage you to check out The Magic Tree House website where a variety of printable actives are available for each book. You could always print those out and distribute them as a take home activities. Just a few suggestions.

Feel free to email if you have more questions! I’m happy to help in any way I can!!

• Courtney says:

Rebecca,
        I too am about to start a Mummies in the Morning literature unit. Unfortunately, the Magic Tree House website is down. Could you email me a copy of the journal that you guys used. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome ideas! I love them!

• Caroline says:

This is a fantastic idea! I teach 2nd grade and I am starting a unit on Ancient Egypt tomorrow. I was planning on using the Magic tree house book to get us started, but seeing your journal I am very impressed. Would you be willing to share it? Thank you so much in advance. It is clear you put a lot of work into this and I really appreciate the ideas!

• Melanie says:

I love your journals! Would you be willing to share them with me? My school is reading this book for a book club assignment this summer. Thank you!

• Kim says:

Hi Rebecca–

Could you email me your journal? We are doing a Discovery zone for the students related to Ancient Egypt.

gvespto@gmail.com

Thanks!

Kim

• Anna Flint says:

Can I please have a copy of the Magic Tree House Mummies in the Morning Journal #4?!!

2. Michelle Beicker says:

Hi. I love your stuff on the Mummies in the Morning study! I am piloting a G/T class in a public school & we’re going through the Magic Tree House series. I would love for you to email your presentation on Where Are We? Who Are They and do you have your journal as well? I would really appreciate anything you could send my way. Thanks!

• Rebecca says:

Hey Michelle! Thank you for your comment and for reading!!
      I will do my best to send you everything in the next couple of days. The powerpoint is a large file, so let me see if I can condense it. And feel free to send any questions you have my way as well. It was such a fun program and the kids seemed to really enjoy it. Thanks again and talk soon!

3. Amber says:

Hi I love this idea! We’re just starting our own ancient egpyt study so I’m excited to include this. Can you email me the adventure journal? I would love to have it! Thanks :)

4. C Houghton says:

I loved the idea of an activity book. I am putting together an ancient Egypt day for my daughter’s second grade class. Your resource guide would be a wonderful addition to the days activities. Thanks

• Rebecca says:

Thanks for your comment! I sent you a PDF of the file to your email. If you have troubles opening it, please let me know!!

5. Sara says:

I love your ideas. I am putting together my lessons now for a summer camp – Walk Like An Egyptian. I would love it if you could share your power point and journal books. Thank you so much

6. Danielle says:

I love your unit study! It is absolutely fabulous! We are about to begin the MTH Mummies and Fact Tracker along with our SS geography unit on Egypt for 3rd grade. Is there any way you could e-mail me the journal? Thanks so much!

7. Kristie F. says:

I’d love to have a copy of the journal as well could you send it to me?

8. Stacy says:

I am doing a unit this summer and would LOVE a copy of your journal! Stacy

9. Brigit says:

We are studying ancient Egypt and are getting ready to read the Magic Tree House book too. I love your Adventure Journal. Would you mind sharing?

Thanks so much!

10. Lisbeth says:

I’m putting together a lesson about Ancient Egypt and I absolutely love your Adventure Journal. I have been trying to put together one of my own, but it is taking forever. I was wondering if you could send me a copy of yours.

Thank you!

11. dandee727 says:

I sent an email. I, too, would love a copy of your journal!!!

12. patty egbert says:

Could you please send me a copy of your journal it looks like what I am looking for to teach my second graders thanks Pat egbert

13. Charity says:

I would love an emailed copy of the journals!

14. Haley says:

Your journals are amazing! Could you please send me a copy?

15. Susan says:

This is awesome. Would you please send me a copy of your journal. I am teaching Magic Tree House Camp in July and this would make a great resource. Thanks so much.

16. Jen says:

Hi!
    I love your journal! I will be working with 2nd graders this school year and would love a copy of this to use with them.

Thanks so much!

17. DeeDee says:

Do u mind emailing me the journal?

18. Diaen says:

Amazing job! I am planning on starting a club at my library and this made it seem more a reality. I would love any of your resources you are willing to share. Great job!

19. Jenni says:

If you still get messages from this post could I please have your journal as well. I homeschool my daughter and we use the little passport program as a geography unit then jump off whichever country for the rest of the month as social studies. We regularly read the Magic Treehouse books as part of our study. Would love to see what you put together and try to do it for each country we study. Thanks in advance!!!

20. Lori says:

Hi Rebecca,
    I am beginning a unit on Ancient Egypt and will be using Mummies in the Morning as the chapter book to go along with our unit, would you be willing to share the amazing journal that you created, I think it would be a great companion to go along with our unit. Thanks so much in advance!!

Lori

21. Grace says:

Hi Rebecca,
    i am currently teaching Ancient Egypt and the students are reading Mummies in the Morning. Love all your great ideas, especially the journal. Would you mind sharing it. I think it really supplements the story.

22. Catie says:

Hi there! I love all of these wonderful and creative ideas! We are doing a program similar to this this summer at our library and was wondering if I might be able to have a copy of the journal? Thank you so much for sharing!

23. Kristen says:

Could you please email me any of the journals that have been created.
    My class would love these.

24. Angela says:

I would love to see anything you have regarding The Magic Tree House books. My classroom theme for next year is all about The Magic Tree House. Thank you in advance!

25. Vanessa says:

Hello,

Could you please send me a copy of the Magic Tree House Journals? They look great!

26. Ann Marie says:

I would LOVE a copy of your journal! What a fantastic idea!!!!

27. Jackie says:

Hi – I have an after school enrichment group and we read and do Magic Treehouse Books and activities. Could we please use your Magic Treehouse journal on mummies? My kids will love it.

Thank you so much!!!

28. Georgia says:

Hello – Could you please email me the Magic Treehouse journal on mummies you used. It looks great. My first graders will really enjoy it.

Thank you for sharing.
    Georgia

29. Rebecca says:

This looks fabulous! I teach middle school social studies and would love a copy of the adventure journal if you don’t mind. Thanks!

30. ruth says:

Would you mind emailing me a copy of your journal?

Thanks,
    Ruth

31. Michelle Veeneman says:

This looks like so much fun! Would you be willing to share your presentation and journal with me?
    Thank you!

32. Treasa says:

Hey! I loved this! Can you please send me a copy of the journal please! Tho2483@gmail.com
    Thank you!

33. Denise Baker says:

I would love a copy of your Journal. I am teaching this book for a Summer Camp. Thanks

34. Melody says:

Hello! If you are still sharing your Mummies in the Morning journal, would you email your file to me, also? I’m teaching a class on Ancient Egypt to a co-op group, and your journal would be wonderful.

• Amanda P says:

Hi I’m a homeschooling mom who is doing Mummies in the Morning for a class in our Co-Op. I’d love a copy of your journal and powerpoint if you are still sharing them! Thanks!

35. Peggy says:

I love your journals! Could you please email me all of the journals that you have? I want to teach these lessons to my sons. Thank you! My sons love magic tree house!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] spray painted them using leftover spray paint from this Magic Tree House Adventures craft. Both sides, two coats. I did this all the day before […]